$190 million of MediSave Top-ups for Pioneers in 2016
1. In this coming week, Pioneers will receive letters informing them of their Pioneer Generation MediSave top-ups for 2016. This is part of the Pioneer Generation Package to thank and honour our Pioneers for their hard work and dedication to make Singapore what it is today.
MediSave Top-Ups for Pioneers
2. The amount of Pioneer Generation MediSave top-up for each Pioneer ranges from $200 to $800 annually for life. This year, about $190 million in MediSave top-ups will be disbursed to our Pioneers. The breakdown is as follows:
|Year of Birth||Age in 2016||Amount|
|Born in 1934 and earlier||82 and above||$800|
|Born in 1935 – 1939||77 – 81||$600|
|Born in 1940 – 1944||72 – 76||$400|
|Born in 1945 – 1949||67 – 71||$200|
3. The Pioneer Generation MediSave top-ups are in addition to the MediSave top-ups for Singaporeans aged 65 and above in 2016 under the GST Voucher Scheme1. Both of these are permanent schemes, disbursed yearly in July and August respectively. Presented below is an illustration on the amount of MediSave top-ups our Pioneers can receive this year:
- An older Pioneer who is 85 this year, who lives in an HDB flat and does not own a second property, will receive a total of $1,250 in MediSave top-ups this year ($800 Pioneer Generation MediSave top-up and $450 GST Voucher – MediSave).
- A younger Pioneer who is 67 this year and in similar circumstances will receive a total of $450 in MediSave top-ups this year ($200 Pioneer Generation MediSave top-up and $250 GST Voucher – MediSave).
4. Pioneers may use these MediSave top-ups to pay for their Medishield Life premiums and other MediSave-approved insurance plans, hospitalisation, day surgery, and certain approved outpatient treatment including renal dialysis, chemotherapy, certain chronic diseases, scans, vaccinations, screening mammograms and colonoscopies, among other approved treatments.
1 Pioneers, aged 67 and above, get Pioneer Generation MediSave top-ups on top of the GST Voucher scheme. The amount of GST Voucher – MediSave that a Singaporean can receive is dependent on age (i.e. aged 65 and above), Annual Value (AV) of place of residence, and the number of properties owned. More information can be found at https://www.gstvoucher.gov.sg. On the other hand, the amount of Pioneer Generation MediSave top-up that a Pioneer can receive depends only on year of birth. A Pioneer will receive the same amount of top-up annually, regardless of the AV of home or the number of properties owned.
Issued by the Ministry of Finance
12 June 2016
For media enquiries, please contact:
Name: Ms Karen Kwan
Tel: 6332 6354
About Ministry of Finance
The Ministry of Finance aims to advance the well-being and development of Singapore through Finance. The Ministry strives to achieve a balanced budget through prudent fiscal policy, foster a regulatory environment conducive to business and enterprise, ensure prudent investment of the Government's reserves and other public funds, and sets policies for government procurement, e-government, customs regulation, accounting standards and business regulation.
We achieve this together with our departments (Accountant-General's Department, Singapore Customs and Vital.org – Centre for Shared Services), and statutory boards (Accounting & Corporate Regulatory Authority, Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore and Tote Board).
For more information, please visit www.mof.gov.sg